Sunday, January 24, 2010

Birth control pills and hair loss?

I'm 16 and stopped using Yasmin three months ago. I have noticed thinning on the top of my scalp since then. I went to a dermatologist and he said that the hair loss should stop after a few months. I was just wondering if anyone else has had (or is having) the same problem. Did you hair really grow back? Or did it just stop falling out? Hair loss (particularly female hair loss) runs in my family...So I'm very worried.Birth control pills and hair loss?
Birth control pills work by fooling the body into thinking it is pregnant, therefore suppressing ovulation. During pregnancy, you tend to get more hair, because the estrogen levels prolong the hair growth cycle. Then after the baby is born, you shed a lot of hair as the cycle kind of goes dormant a bit as it reverts to normal. I suspect that this is the same thing that happened to you with the birth control pills. If so, things should even out.





Female pattern baldness, if this does afflict you, usually doesn't appear until you are approaching 30. So this doesn't mean you won't suffer hair loss, but your current hair loss is most likely just do to hormonal changes.





To those who would judge you for being on birth control pills at all -- there are reasons why young women who are not sexually active use birth control pills, usually because they are trying to regulate their periods, sometimes to help deal with hormonal acne. And while personally I don't think teenage girls should be having sex, but if they are, they better do everything they can to avoid getting pregnant. Being judgmental without knowing someone's circumstances is totally unfair.Birth control pills and hair loss?
Don't use birth control or any medicine you don't need naturally. Abstinance is the best policy, especially at your age.
You are only 16, what you doing sleeping around. You shouldn't be, not at 16. Well that is your decision. I guess college is not in your future ah? No carrer, no dreams, well there is Walfare, food stamps and plenty of kids coming out of you. Respect, forget about it.Good luck future single mom!
its prob heredity like you said....but i take birth control and my hair does not fall out,my hair is actually really healthy

No comments:

Post a Comment