Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Does anyone know what causes Constipation and loss of Bowel Control for a 6 year old.?

Our son suffers from a loss of bowel control. He can't feel if he has to have a bowel movement. He also gets a large bruise at the small of his back. He says it's not painful? He's been to alot of doctors who just have us treat him with laxatives. But, I'm just worried that the bruise is a sign of something else. He was fine until that bruise showed up and that was over 6 months ago. Does anyone out there know what this might be? He didn't suffer any major fall or injury that initally caused the bruise to appear. Ever since that bruise showed up, he hasn't been able to tell if he needs to have a bowel movement. We have him on a schedule, changed his diet so that it is rich in whole foods and fiber. Nothing helps. Now I'm beginning to get concerned.Does anyone know what causes Constipation and loss of Bowel Control for a 6 year old.?
You are being wise to continue to ask questions, the docor who is just giving laxatives is being irresponsible. I have never heard of this problem but A bruise indicates broken blood vessels and damage in the area, I would think that his bowel is damaged for some reason , possibly damaging his nerves? Im not sure but I would definately look untill you get help, This sounds like a serious problem that will only get worse by just giving laxatives. I would look for a doctor with more experience in bowel disease.Does anyone know what causes Constipation and loss of Bowel Control for a 6 year old.?
Sounds a little more serious than your regular docs want to deal with. I'd check out the Mayo Clinic to see what they can suggest. They have lots of information and may be able to put you on a path to solve this mystery. Good luck to you and your son.
Ask your doctor about Hirschsprung's disease.
when my brother was 6 about three years ago for a long time he had very bad bowel movements. so bad he had to stay at sick kids hospital. They also did not know exactly what it was or how to help it.. but gave him lacatives. He also is on a diet of fibre. The doctors said to stay away from corn and milk products as much as you can. Its very unfortunate that these doctors still dont really know how to help this. My brother is nine now, and he is fine. He plays tons of sports, and like the doctors say it should all go away in time. He still has stomach aches and everyone gets all nervous. he used to get supositories (sp?) as well as lacsatives. All I can do is give these little tips and encouragement. good luck:) As far as doctors go here in Canada my little brother must have gone to dozens my parents were very frustrated the doctors didnt ';really know what was going on';.I hope since these three years have passed for your sake, they have gained a little bit more knowledge on the subject. I have never found anyone yet with the same problem my little brother had. And perhaps if i did, and they were now all better it would at the least have calmed my nerves a bit. I hope this has done that for you.
Take him to a good pediatric gastroenterolgist at the closest big city you've got (within reasonable driving distance). There is something really wrong with him and rural or suburban doctors can't always catch rare things like metropolitan doctors can.

No comments:

Post a Comment