Friday, January 22, 2010

Hair loss and birth control with accutane-?

I took accutane for about 7 months with a very low dosage. My doctor also had me on birth control for 9 months during my course. I completed my treatment with great results and my only side effect was dry lips. However, a month after stopping the accutane and 1/2 week after stopping my birth control I started shedding my hair A LOT. Is this due to the accutane of birth control or what?? :(Hair loss and birth control with accutane-?
Your hair loss is a result of your accutane treatment. When I researched medications that cause hair loss for my book, Hair Loss in Women...Getting to the Root of the Problem, I was pretty disturbed with the information on accutane. I'm sure that's why the dosages are lower now and patients are closely monitored while on accutane.





Accutane effects hair growth in several ways. It reduces the size of the sebaceous gland and decreases sebum. Without adequate sebum, hair becomes dry, fragile and weak.





Accutane is classified as a retinoid, which is chemically related to Vitamin A. (Vitamin A when taken in excess can also cause hair loss)


Accutane causes a condition called hypervitaminosis A. This leads to low levels of biotinidase. Biotinidase is an enzyme that regulates biotin. Biotin is very important for healthy hair growth.





I'm sure you know the reason you were prescribed birth control. It is very dangerous to get pregnant on accutane and doctors are required to make sure the women is on birth control.





Starting or stopping birth control can cause hair loss. Starting or stopping any medication can cause hair loss.





Hopefully once your body adjusts your hair will stop falling out and normal growth will resume.





Taking supplements including extra biotin may help.





Using essential oil scalp massage formulas may help stimulate new growth.





Feel free to email me for more information.





http://vzbotanicals.com/











Hair loss and birth control with accutane-?
It can be one of the reason.I would say not to use chemicals on your hair. Why don't you go for some home remedies. Egg whites,lemon juice, oil massages, reducing stress and diet changes can reduce hair fall and make it healthier.You can find more cheap, effective and natural home remedies for hair loss at http://www.wellnesstalk.org/hairfall.htm鈥?/a>



No comments:

Post a Comment