Friday, January 22, 2010

Has anyone been prescribed Topamax for weight loss/appetite control?!?

My doctor gave this to me as an off label treatment, because a med I am on has caused me to gain 20 LB in about 18 months! Its approved for migraines and is a anti convulsant. I just dont see this working!





Thanks...Has anyone been prescribed Topamax for weight loss/appetite control?!?
I also took it for migraines and nerve pain. I did lose 30 pound when I was taking 200mg of it. I was also eating a low-fat diet and walking 40 minutes a day. I am currently taking 100mg and the appetite suppression is okay but not nearly as good as it was at 200mg. I didn't like 200mg though because it made my thinking slow.





The ideal thing in hind sight would be for your doctor to have prescribed it at the same time as your other med. The two would have cancelled each other out. That is what I am doing now. I'm taking just enough topamax to counteract the increase in appetite I get from other medications I have to take for the next three months.





My advise with topamax is to drink lots of water so you don't get kidney stones and take a good multivitamin. Vitamin deficencies will sneak up on you when you start skipping meals. I became low in iron.





Also, topamax causes irritability. Tell your loved ones or take another med to tone it down :)

No comments:

Post a Comment