Wednesday, May 12, 2010

DOCTORS: Can I take Yasmin (birth control), Accutane (acne), & Topamax (for weight loss) at the same time?

I have really bad acne, so I would like to take Accutane to clear my acne. I have already been prescribed the medication by my dermatologist but I also have to take Yasmin, a birth control medication while taking Accutane. Strong Med; High Risk for Birth Defects, etc. BUT....I am also very overweight and a friend of mine was prescribed Topamax to help her with weight loss, shes lost 72 pounds using this?!!? (it was not prescribed to her b/c seizures or migraines). I know that it is okay to take Yasmin %26amp; Accutane together. Also that its okay to take Yasmin %26amp; Topamax together b/c my friend does. But I am not sure of the interaction between all three medications at the same time. Can anyone tell me if I can take all three medications at the same time? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE helpDOCTORS: Can I take Yasmin (birth control), Accutane (acne), %26amp; Topamax (for weight loss) at the same time?
Most docs would prefer that you are on birth control while taking Accutane as it is very dangerous to become pregnant on Accutane. There is a risk when taking birth control and anti-convulsants whereas the anti-convulsantc drug reduces the effectiveness of the birth control and again you DO NOT want to become pregnant on Accutane. So no I would not take these drugs together. I hope this helps.DOCTORS: Can I take Yasmin (birth control), Accutane (acne), %26amp; Topamax (for weight loss) at the same time?
You're very welcome. Good luck to you!

Report Abuse



I don't know what the various drug interactions would be, but I do have a warning about topamax. I was put on topamax for my migraines and the side effects were overwhelming. I've heard it helps you lose weight, but it's not very safe. What I experienced on it was extreme fatigue and sluggishness, decreased motivation to do anything, and I was extremely lethargic. If you are trying to lose weight it's unsafe to use drugs like topamax or other diet pills to lose weight unless your doctor tells you to. My advice would be to start eating healthier and going to the gym. If you're uncomfortable going to the gym, my suggestion would be to buy some kind of work out video you can do at home, yoga and pilates are wonderful, they're not too high stress and they're easy ways to get into shape. You'll feel so good after doing it for about 3 days. Take the safe route, not the easy route.
Ask a pharmacist instead of a doctor. Sometimes even doctors don't know of possible side effects with combined meds, but the pharmacy's computer will warn the pharmacist you're taking something that could interfere with another medication you're taking.
You should be asking YOUR doctor about this.





If you take the wrong drugs with other drugs, it can get you killed.





You also don't know if they are suitable for you.





I would be VERY CAREFUL!
I am not sure about the combination you should talk to your doctor about that but I can tell you that Topamax will lessen the effectiveness of the birth control. I take Topamax (for Migraine prevention) and that's one of the warnings on the drug sheet given at the pharmacy. Talk to your doctor.
  • makeup look
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment